Pera completed her 19th month two weeks ago. Her development lately is faster than I can follow. Every day when I come home, she welcomes me with a new word or a new game of his own. I can see that his awareness is increasing day by day and he is adapting to new things much faster. When this was the case, I decided to speed up my research on the internet for months and find a game group that I really believed would be beneficial for her.
It was a must for me to offer something new to Pera in line with the resources I read and the guidance of our trusted doctor on the completion of the most important period in the brain construction of children between the ages of 0-4. After my research, I had a concept in my mind that I thought we could really get efficiency, in this sense, I made a small list of places that matched my expectations and I visited these activity centers periodically and decided to find the place that I felt really satisfied for Pera. In this article, I would like to share our experience with you in Kindyroo trial course.
Who is Kindyroo ?
Kindyroo is an Australian child development academy serving children aged 0-5. They aim to maximize the motor and neurological development of children through a regular and systematic program. After regular participation in the program, they propose that children will develop in many areas such as balance coordination, focus time, development of body muscles, and strengthening of social skills.
They have 3 centers in Istanbul: Ataşehir, Bahçeşehir and Florya. I decided to attend a trial course last Saturday morning by calling the Kindyroo Florya branch, as the goals of the establishment and the mission they created made a positive impression on me.
Kindyroo Trial Course Content
My observations about Kindyroo before and during the one-hour trial are as follows:
- First of all, the center is quite big and spacious, as you can see from the photos below, there is a nice playground where children can really enjoy and wait for their lessons without getting bored. Since we entered to the class at the last minute, we couldn’t spend much time in this area and we went directly to the class where the course was held. Of course it was a bit difficult for Pera to enter to the class without spending even 5 minutes in this area.
- The class in which the lesson is held consists of a fun track and a square empty space where children can take their energy. During the first 15 minutes of the one-hour lesson, they want children to spend free time with their parents on the activity track and the children enter the track without their socks.
- Here, in turn, the children are expected to experience the toys on the track and learn to act all together. The track consists of wooden play tools such as slides, balance board and trampoline that all children can love. Pera really loved this area, even when the time spent for this place was over I had to wheedle to take her to the other kids 🙂
- After the time spent in the free space was over, we made the transition to the course area. Each of the activities here takes about 5 minutes. In this section, which aims to increase the motor and neurological development of children, they are expected to catch the foams blown by the instructor, hold the rhythm with the cymbals given to their hands, understand the commands such as stop-and-go and perceive concepts such as up and down.
- In 5 minutes of the lesson, the parents massage the children with the help of a tennis ball, if your child is a caring baby and can stand in place, this is a really good activity, unfortunately mine didn’t sit for even 5 minutes and we had to hang out individually in many of the activities.
- The last activity was a game of recognizing children’s belongings to strengthen the sense of belonging in children. Before they come to the class, they want each child to bring a toy or book that is suitable for the theme to be covered. The theme of the lesson we attended was “pig”. I took a book with a picture of a pig in it, and the trainer picked up all the children’s toys / books, put them in a big sack, and then took out the toys one by one and asked, “Who’se toy is this?” What is expected here is that each child can get to know his own toy, go and buy it, and then share his toys and strengthen his communication with his peers. When the number of children who didn’t want to share their toys was a bit too high, this activity took a shorter time than it should have been, and so we completed an hour period.
Kindyroo Trial Course Reviews
If you ask my objective opinion about the content of the course, obviously the activities did not seem very satisfactory to me and even caused some disappointment. All of these were ordinary activities we do almost every day at home. When I came to such a center, I expected that the materials used and the way of course would be more professional. Even though they claim that the activities, sequence and even the duration of the activities are based on scientific facts, the content did not convince me that the expected benefit would be achieved. Although the instructor who teaches the course is very friendly, it is worth noting that I found his approach to children a little too much exaggeration. I didn’t like it when he treated a group of 18-24 months old babies as if they were 6 months old. Or this might be weird for me as we don’t talk to Pera as if we have a baby at home. Of course, we are aware that the baby is not an adult, but we find these approaches unnecessary because we think that she understands us with proper communication.
At the end of the lesson, when we had a conversation with the owner of Kindyroo on its general concepts, he offered us a 13-week package. He stated that during the 13 weeks of the program, they were constantly working on the same theme, making only minor changes to the concept of the free play area on a weekly basis, but not updating the course content. Frankly, the other thing that disappointed me about Kindyroo was that they didn’t offer children a new alternative.
None of the activities during the 45-minute class has attracted Pera’s interest, of course it’s the first group she has attended, but the biggest reason I don’t want to take this program is that they limit the children and don’t offer them anything new to learn. It doesn’t make sense for me to be involved in a program where we will do the same activities every week when there are dozens of things they can discover at a time when their perception is so clear. The other point that should be considered when making such a criticism is the question of how to create an entertaining and new alternative to such young children. Of course, it is not that easy to present and incorporate new things, but I do not believe that by showing a picture of a pig closely and remotely to the child, and saying “look this is a pig” will not have a tremendous benefit to the children’s motor and neurological development.
Kindyroo Price Policy
Finally, it is worth mentioning the price policy. Kindyroo trial course fee is 50 TL, 13-week package program for 1 day a week fee is 1500TL, and it is 1800 TL for two days a week. If you register on the day you go to the trial course, they do not charge for the trial course and they offer a small discount on the Kindyroo package program. (1350 TL) Even though I did not find the price policy high as a result of my research on the internet, I think the concept will not be worth it, of course, this is my objective interpretation in line with my expectations and experience.
Since it is a franchise institution, I would like to mention once again that the comments I wrote are only valid for the Kindyroo Florya branch. As you all know, the institutes who serves by taking the franchise in Turkey shows a large variation according to the managers who are the owners of the institutions. If Kindyroo is the institution you want to choose, it is a good idea to attend at least one trial course before you decide. As a result, each child’s interests and abilities are different, an important point that I cannot see may be the reason for preference for someone else.
See you at the next playgroup experience,